I LOVE this recipe and since it’s time for fresh spinach and lettuces to sprout, I thought
that I should share…the original version was in the ’94 issue of Southern
Living, but living in a rural area means learning to modify recipes according to
what you have available to you in the grocery store. Now, twelve years later,
of course, everything is available. I’ve stuck with my version of this recipe
because well, it’s what I like!
1. Combine ingredients for vinaigrette. (See below.) Set aside.
2. Fry bacon.
3. Chop and combine the salad ingredients and put them into the fridge to chill. If you don’t know how to do this, you might not belong in the kitchen.
4. Put herb stuffing into a plastic baggie and crunch it into tiny crumbs with a rolling pin.
5. Add the Italian seasoning and garlic powder. This is your breading for the oysters.
6. Dip oysters in egg white and coat with the breading.
7. Heat enough canola oil for frying in the same skillet you used to fry the bacon. (I do remove all but 1 Tbsp of the bacon grease.)
8. Heat to 350° and fry the oysters about a minute on each side. Drain them on paper towels.
9. Top the salad with the oysters, salt and pepper, and the red wine vinaigrette
Red Wine Vinaigrette
¾ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. Burgundy wine
3 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar (I use an herbal red winevinegar that I make, but the recipe is fine
with just regular red wine vinegar.
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp Worcestershire
1/8 tsp pepper
shake, shake, shake…